balletLORENT is a national award-winning dance theatre company based in Newcastle upon Tyne (John Marley Centre, Scotswood), dedicated to creating ambitious and inclusive high-quality work, which tours the UK’s most prestigious theatres. We are a female-led company with a mission to create world-class, distinctive dance theatre that appeals to our growing number of diverse family and adult audiences.
We are seeking an exceptional Executive Director to steer the company into the next stage of our journey. This is a rare opportunity to take a senior role in the leadership of one of the leading independent dance companies in England in its 30th Anniversary year.
We are seeking someone with leadership qualities that allow a reliable team to be their best, and that has the motivational and problem-solving skills to succeed in a varied and exciting company.
Appreciation of our work is desirable, and a respect for it is essential. An understanding and passion for supporting our model of mixed funding from earned income, ACE subsidy and charitable fundraising is a requirement of this role.
The role includes close financial management of all core and project activity, the strategic development of the company, and develop and maintain relationships with major funders, touring and creative partners. They will report to the Board of Trustees and will collaborate closely with the Artistic Director & CEO.
balletLORENT is a National Portfolio Organisation, supported using public funding by Arts Council England, and is a National Strategic Partner of Sadler’s Wells.
- In collaboration with the Artistic Director & CEO deliver on the company’s strategic development to realise the artistic ambition and vision.
- Create, implement and update business plan in line with each Arts Council of England (ACE) NPO funding round and company ambition.
- Lead on the reporting against ACE investment principles and activity plans with the Artistic Director & CEO and Education & Projects Manager.
- Deliver an effective fundraising strategy in line with the company’s ambition and budgets and work with the Freelance Fundraiser to write applications and achieve targets.
- Work with the Artistic Director & CEO and Chair to advocate balletLORENT’s requirement for Capital funding to renovate its space at the John Marley Centre (JMC) and to support the application process led by a Freelance Fundraiser.
- Establish new, and maintain major partnerships to provide a sustainable regional, national, and international touring programme.
Financial & Reporting
- Together with the Artistic Director & CEO set and monitor the company’s annual and project budgets.
- Oversee management accounts and cash-flow forecasts produced by the General Manager using XERO reports.
- Work together with the freelance Bookkeeper to ensure quarterly and year end financial figures are correct and ACE annual financial statement is completed.
- Write the Trustee’s annual report for the end of year financial statement.
- Responsible for quarterly financial forecasting, and report on financial outcomes to Board of Trustees, external stakeholders, and accountants.
- Create and update financial risk register when required.
- Maintain and develop balletLORENT’s UK touring programme occurring once every two years at middle to large-scale and other touring projects including site-specific works.
- Be responsible for signing venue contracts having reached a mutual understanding and agreement of the terms of engagement.
- Liaise with production, education, marketing, and creative teams to deliver all aspects of the touring programme.
- Establish international networks to achieve an international touring programme.
Funding & Philanthropy
- Strong focus on maintaining core revenue funding from Arts Council of England and maintain this relationship during funded periods alongside the Artistic Director & CEO.
- Together with the Artistic Director & CEO be accountable for achieving fundraising targets.
- Secure regular and major income streams with key funders, in conjunction with the Freelance Fundriaser including trusts and foundations, local authorities, philanthropists, and other potential funders.
- Write funding applications to extend our reach for touring in the UK and Internationally.
- Coordinate inputs from the relevant members of the team to provide statistical information and establish outcomes for applications and reporting.
- Oversee and support completion of ACE annual reporting, project reporting to trusts and foundations, local authority funding, and other funding bodies with the Education & Projects Manager, General Manager and Marketing & Communications Manager.
Operations & Governance
- Ensure good governance across the Board of Trustees.
- Lead on coordinating and writing quarterly Trustee and AGM reports and documentation for approval, and in line with ACE funding requirements.
- Line-manage and carry out annual appraisals for core office team.
- Ensure positive development of core office staff through outcomes of annual appraisals.
- Oversee the implementation and of HR policies created by the General Manager and ensure all are compliant with relevant legislation.
- Lead on recruitment, performance management, discipline, and grievance in line with the Company’s staff policy for the core and freelance office team.
- Oversee robust contracts produced by the General Manager.
- Align activities with the Education & Project Manager and the Marketing & Communications Manager to ensure audience development is considered and balletLORENT’s profile is raised.
- Act as an ambassador for the company during public facing events and communications.
- Ensure JMC is locked and made secure if you are the last person to leave the building.
- Any other reasonable duties appropriate to the role, and achievable during contracted hours.
- Demonstrable strategic management experience.
- Demonstrable experience of working across complex budgets and models of financial operation and control.
- Ability to prepare and present clear, accurate and timely financial statements.
- Demonstrable experience of writing successful high value funding applications.
- Excellent communicator, negotiator, and team player.
- Understanding and experience of managing and following HR processes.
- A strong commitment to core principles of equality, diversity, and inclusion.
- Ability to work under pressure with a high degree of attention to detail.
- Ability to manage workloads and multiple priorities.
- A strong commitment to balletLORENT’s mission and values.
- Experience of working in the Cultural Sector.
- Good knowledge and understanding of charitable administration and governance.
- Knowledge of ACE NPO reporting requirements.
- Knowledge of XERO or other accounting software.
Full Recruitment Pack available below.
Please send your CV, a cover letter of no more than two pages, and a completed Equal Opportunities form to firstname.lastname@example.org by 9am on Monday 10th July.