balletLORENT is an award-winning dance theatre company based in Newcastle upon Tyne (John Marley Centre, Scotswood), dedicated to creating ambitious and inclusive high-quality work, which tours the UK’s most prestigious theatres. We are a female-led company with a mission to create world-class, distinctive dance theatre that appeals to our growing number of diverse family and adult audiences.
We are seeking an exceptional Executive Director/Producer to steer the company into the next stage of our journey. This is a rare opportunity to take a senior role in the leadership of one of the leading independent dance companies in England in its 30th Anniversary year.
We are seeking someone with leadership qualities that allow a reliable team to be their best, and that has the motivational and problem-solving skills to succeed in a varied and exciting company.
Appreciation of our work is desirable, and a respect for it is essential. An understanding and passion for supporting our model of mixed funding from earned income, ACE subsidy and charitable fundraising is a requirement of this role.
The role includes close financial management of all core and project activity, the strategic development of the company, and develop and maintain relationships with major funders and creative partners. It reports to the Board of Trustees and will collaborate closely with the Artistic Director & CEO.
balletLORENT is a National Portfolio Organisation, supported using public funding by Arts Council England, and is a National Strategic Partner of Sadler’s Wells.
Download the Recruitment Pack at the bottom of this page.
- In collaboration with the Artistic Director & CEO lead on the company’s strategic development to realise the artistic ambition and vision
- Create, implement and update business plans
- Lead on the reporting against ACE investment principles and activity plans with the Artistic Director & CEO and Education & Project Manager.
- Deliver an effective fundraising strategy in line with the company’s ambition and budgets, including plans for a Capital project at John Marley Centre.
- Establish new, and maintain, major partnerships to provide a sustainable regional, national, and international touring programme.
Financial & Reporting
- Together with the Artistic Director & CEO set and monitor the company’s annual and project budgets.
- Responsible for overall management of financial systems, financial forecasting, financial risk register and report on financial outcomes to Board of Trustees, external stakeholders, and accountants.
- Work closely with the General Manager and Bookkeeper to manage financial systems and deliver accurate management accounts and cash-flow forecasts.
- Maintain and develop balletLORENT’s national touring programme at middle-large scale and for other touring projects including site-specific works.
- Liaise with production, education, marketing, and creative team to deliver all aspects of the touring programme.
- Establish international networks to achieve an international touring programme.
- Strong focus on maintaining core revenue funding from Arts Council of England and maintain this relationship during funded periods alongside the Artistic Director & CEO.
- Together with the Artistic Director & CEO be accountable for achieving fundraising targets.
- Develop and secure regular and major income streams with key funders, including trusts and foundations, local authorities, philanthropists, and other potential funders.
- Lead on funding applications alongside the freelance fundraiser to deliver against the fundraising plan.
- Lead on funding applications to extend our reach for touring in the UK and Internationally.
- Coordinate inputs from the relevant members of the team to provide statistical information and establish outcomes for applications and reporting.
- Lead on quarterly and end of year reporting to Arts Council of England, and project reporting to trusts and foundations, local authority funding, and other funding bodies.
Operations & Governance
- Ensure good governance across the Board of Trustees.
- Lead on coordinating and writing quarterly Trustee and AGM reports and documentation for approval, and in line with ACE funding requirements.
- Line-manage and carry out annual appraisals for core office team.
- Ensure positive development of core office staff through outcomes of annual appraisals.
- Lead and oversee the effective management of the company’s Human Resources and HR policies.
- Ensure all HR policies (including equal opportunities, health and safety) are implemented and compliant with all relevant legislation.
- Lead on recruitment, performance management, discipline, and grievance in line with the Company’s staff policy for the core and freelance office team.
- Responsible for effective management of robust contracts produced internally and externally.
- Align activities with the Education & Project Manager and the Marketing & Communications Manager to ensure audience development is considered and balletLORENT’s profile is raised.
- Act as an ambassador for the company during public facing events and communications.
- Any other reasonable duties appropriate to the role, and achievable during contracted hours.
- Demonstrable strategic management experience.
- Demonstrable experience of working across complex budgets and models of financial operation and control.
- Ability to prepare and present clear, accurate and timely financial statements.
- Demonstrable experience of writing successful high value funding applications.
- Excellent communicator, negotiator, and team player.
- Understanding and experience of managing and following HR processes
- A strong commitment to core principles of equality, diversity, and inclusion.
- Ability to work under pressure with a high degree of attention to detail.
- Ability to manage workloads and multiple priorities.
- A strong commitment to balletLORENT’s mission and values.
- Experience of working in the Cultural Sector
- Good knowledge and understanding of charitable administration and governance.
- Knowledge of ACE NPO reporting requirements.
- Knowledge of XERO or other accounting software.
In return, we offer:
- A salary of £48,000 per annum (full time)
- Pension scheme (NEST)
- CPD training expenses
- Entitlement to 25 days holiday + Bank Holidays
Please send your CV, a cover letter of no more than two pages, and a completed Equal Opportunities form to Executive Director/Producer Christine Grimwood by 9am on Monday 6th March email@example.com
If you would like any of this information in a different format, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.